6.3.09

Les tribute de liks =)

This is the tribute I promised liks =D present before you leave =)

“The Oddballs of 4 Newton”, we were once addressed so in high school. Okay, fine, I made that up – but that’s what makes me half of the whacko-“duet”; I’m a natural liar who’s compassionate about education with an occasional ignorant attitude.

Teach me to Lie? go teach thyself more wit;
I am chief Professor of it.

What can you say? I’m programmed to lie and I bet Lik was almost amused by it (especially when we played ‘Mafia’), just like me stupefied by his weirdness, which so unexpectedly made the biggest flip in my mental and emotional life.


My peculiar friend Lik Pin, Ong-
How shall I sing thy in a song,
While we round thy chose oblong,
I wondered if thee watched King Kong?

I got poetic somehow but my poems usually suck. Whilst I picked the plumper and shorter part of the two, Lik Pin was the taller – way tall (in fact, the tallest in class) and lankier counterpart of our duo. Bespectacled, he is a lefty born from the same year, about 4 months earlier than I, into a quite-well-to-do family of teachers as parents, two elder siblings and a younger one.

We used to attend the same primary and high schools, but I guess I wasn’t eccentric enough until I was 16. We were close classmates then, but our relationship grew exponentially when we started stereotyped each other as “weirdoes”. In many conversations we say the same things the same time; I do sometimes suspect him being a mind-reader or such equivalents.

Speaking English was definitely not a trend or norm in my high school, as most of the population in school comprises people who are stuck with their mother tongue, and people reluctant to perform interracial communication in English. How constructive of them! Only when I started to befriend this whimsical screwball I felt comfortable of conversing in English, instead I love to converse in it.

But the years of multilingualism had made me lose the urge and ability to do so fluently. I spoke English with many tongue-tied-up experiences, and it was really, really hilarious. What struck me most about this British-fan was that he never discouraged me to speak English, and that actually didn’t turn out good, because the tongue-tied-up habit was contagious! We then started blogging, in light of hoping to improve ourselves in putting thoughts into words, and it kind of works. A bit.

While a lot of people long to proceed to places like the States, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Australia, Lik chose the Great Britain as his favorite. And the main reason he fancies it is the slang. And I am not comfortable with the Britain just because of the slang! Such controversy. I couldn’t understand a thing they say when I watched 007 (blame my English!). But despite that we could communicate. Somehow our net communication reawakened my inner critic and creativity, and boom! I felt the surge of change. I do think that it is mostly because he provided something different, eccentric to my life, and that has triggered my mind to finally start working, after all these years.

Besides that he did recommended a few unheard bands, or rather unknown to me. We were both maniacs of music, we jam like crazy, sing like crazy and there’s this occasional musician’s block, Jesus. I had two parts, the classical part and the modern part, the former less known to anyone, the latter being protested most of the time by Lik. If I give him my usual playlist he’d most probably delete most of the files. He’d throw a disgusted expression at me if I played Chris Brown, Britney Spears, Lady Gaga, the Jonas Brothers or Beyoncé Knowles. Nevertheless there was acceptance such as The Script, The Fray, The Ting Tings, Jason Mraz, Rihanna (partially), Panic at the Disco, and Avril Lavigne, but that’s all basically. Instead, he enjoys oldies (Beatles) sometimes, but most of the time he indulges in Radiohead, Uh Huh Her, the Paperbag Writer and other weird (to me and most pop fans) bands.

Frankly speaking before I befriended him I never had a friend to share so much of my musical life to, except the playlist part. Forget the differences, we were so synchronized when we jam, and please realize that I am currently lying. We never did manage to perfect a song but notwithstanding that we had so, so much fun and it helped a lot in igniting my musicianship. He made me realize that a musical talent is not only for show, instead we could have fun and go creative. And did I mention that he was a drum addict? He could basically drool due to desire of getting his hands on drums. Lust much?

He was always inserting elements of sarcasm into his conversations, the same way my randomness came into my daily talk. And with that he seemed to get everyone’s goat almost every time he speaks. I was amused of his ability to speak his mind – to be so open about stuff, issues. And could imitate this only when I speak to him, because when I spoke to him I never felt so natural before. Any crap of my mind would basically spill out. Somehow I’ve become more daring and open when I speak to anyone else gradually. He was always helping me out and I don’t know how would I possibly repay it.

Well, basically this screwball was kind of my life savior. Without him, my dull stupid previous life would continue till now. He was the trigger and my best friend. My first true friend. I really hope he has the best of luck in future undertakings, and remember our special “eccentric” bond, pal! Bon voyage! (I’m lying! He’s procrastinating at home now!)


Ciao for now. I miss(ed) Mraz..=(

2 comments:

lik said...

oh bloody hell..now i realise that my english suck freakishly bad.
you know how many times i checked the dic(not dick) reading this?i used all my fingers and toes counting them.XD
anyways,nice tribute.and i feel so freakishly great right now...hahaha..ok,i'm crappin.just,thanks for the tribute.my first and the best for now.hopefully i get more in the future y'know y'know y'know..haha,maybe i'll get famous in UK haha,
and i'm your savior?
now i sound like Jesus. Jesus Ong. hahaha...and yes i did watch King Kong last time.the movie shouldn't exist,it sucked.


p/s: the next time you play Chris Brown,i probably crush the player.he sucks,he's a psychopath.

Samuel K Lis said...

yo lik is amazing right? The Greak Lik...

ponder

I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge.
That myth is more potent than history.
That dreams are more powerful than facts.
That hope always triumphs over experience.
That laughter is the only cure for grief.
And I believe that love is stronger than death.
-Robert Fulghum

The opposite of love is not hate,
it's indifference.
The opposite of art is not ugliness,
it's indifference.
The opposite of faith is not heresy,
it's indifference.
And the opposite of life is not death,
it's indifference.
-Elie Wiesel

All men and women are born, live suffer and die;
what distinguishes us one from another is our dreams, whether they be dreams about worldly or unworldly things, and what we do to make them come about...
We do not choose to be born.
We do not choose our parents.
We do not choose our historical epoch, the country of our birth, or the immediate circumstances of our upbringing.

We do not, most of us, choose to die;
nor do we choose the time and conditions of our death.
But within this realm of choicelessness, we do choose how we live.
-Joseph Epstein


Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark, in the hopeless swamps of the approximate, the not-quite, the not-yet, the not-at-all. Do not let the hero in your soul perish, in lonely frustration for the life you deserved, but have never been able to reach. Check your road and the nature of your battle.The world you desired can be won. It exists, it is real, it is possible, it is yours.
-Ayn Rand

Smile at each other, smile at your wife, smile at your husband, smile at your children, smile at each other -- it doesn't matter who it is -- and that will help you to grow up in greater love for each other.
-Mother Teresa


Dream as if you'll live forever...live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean